Wednesday, May 27, 2009

An Ageless Friendship

My friend Helen and I have been friends for over 25 yrs. She was 45 yrs old when I was born, but we are the best of friends. The two of us can talk about anything and she teaches me daily about living life to the fullest. She retired from teaching 1st grade for Santa Paula Elementary 33 yrs ago and Steve was hired to take her classroom. She will tell you, He took her classroom but didn't take her place. She is a spitfire and her life history is truely amazing. She was born at home in Ada Oklahoma on the family farm. Her father was a farmer and her mother took care of the home and family. She was one of 3 girls to go to Teacher School and got her first teaching job in a one room school house. She and her husband Orville made their way to California in the 1930's. He was an accountant and they had a sweet love affiar that lasted over 65 yrs. Steve and I were with her the night before he died. She has one child, Tom and He and I share in taking care of her. We go to appointments, eat lunch out and bargain shop. I count her as one of my dearest friends...

0 comments: